Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem…
Do they not contemplate within themselves? Allah has not created the heavens and the earth and what is between them except in truth and for a specified term. And indeed, many of the people, in [the matter of] the meeting with their Lord, are disbelievers. – Ar-Rum, verse 8
Reflection is one of the higher forms of ‘ibadah as it is said that an hour of reflection outweighs years upon years of ‘ibadah. Through reflection of the Signs of Allah, the heart expands with lights of certainty and faith. It is unfortunate that mankind are usually to engrossed in their daily activities to have time for reflection. Furthermore, the prescence of ‘tools of distractions’ such as the TV, Internet, Games, not to mention the various gadgets available these days, keeps the mind busy from being able to slow down, stop and reflect.
The mind of man can be likened to a ‘monkey’ that jumps from one thought to another, one desire to another. Thus, out of His Mercy Allah ta’ala, commanded ‘ibadah like dhikr, prayer and fasting to help silence and subdue the monkey mind and concentrate upon Allah. Praise be to Him for apportioning times in our daily routine for remembrance of Him wherewith our hearts find rest and peace!
May the following wonders of creations within ourselves(that we are often heedless of) which the verse earlier stated, increase our awe and certainty. Amin!
- The human eye works by some 40 different parts functioning together.
- If water were only slightly more viscous, it would be impossible for blood to be transported through the body’s capillary system.
- Immune system elements that the baby needs, such as antibodies or defense cells, are given to the baby ready-made in the mother’s milk.
- A single brain can process work equivalent to that of 4.5 million transistors on a modern microprocessor.
- The nasal bones are especially structured so that the air inhaled can go to the lungs only after circulating several times in the nose and thus warming up.
- A liver cell is specialized enough to perform more than 500 operations at a time.
- The heart beats approximately 100,000 times a day. –can we beat our own heart? how about the smallest creature with a heart?
- A normal human body has about 5 billion capillaries whose total length, if stretched out, is about 950 kilometers
We will show them Our signs in the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that it is the truth. But is it not sufficient concerning your Lord that He is, over all things, a Witness? -Fussilat, verse 53.
Of course, besides our own created form, we are urged to reflect upon the verses of the Qur’an, the briefness of our life in this world, the Ressurection Day, the Hereafter, other creations of Allah. The best method to do reflection as told by our Shaykh is to be in wudhu’ (pure mental and physical state) and while doing dhikrullah.
The Difficulty to understand the Hereafter
If there was method by which a baby in the mother’s womb could be told that he has to leave the world in which he was, to go forth into another world which is much more spacious and where there are waterfalls, trees, the ‘pillarless’ sky, animals, peoples, sun, moon, different hues of colours, smells and sounds, the baby will not believe such a description.
And if whatever trees upon the earth were pens and the sea [was ink], replenished thereafter by seven [more] seas, the words of Allah would not be exhausted. Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise. – Luqman, verse 27
On emerging from the womb, after several years, he comes to realise the intricacies of this world. However, there are still some aspects of a human life which he does not become aware of till he attains maturity. The next world stands in the same relationship with this material world as does the latter with the mother’s womb. Matters of the world to come is incomprehensible to us in this world. That is so even soon after death. The soul is therefore retained in barzakh where the soul achieves understanding of some things of the other world. The other world holds such pleasures before which pleasures of even the worldly days of adulthood or maturity are nothing. The short duration of the pleasures of adulthood is itself an argument of its lowliness!
1. for further facts of the human body to marvel at :- www.evidencesofcreation.com
2. an Excerpt from Tarbiatul ‘Ushaq – The Training of Divine Lovers with minor modifications